WARMACHINE: Oblivion is almost here, and with it comes the massive theme force remix you’ve likely heard so much about. If you missed the news, let’s get you up to speed first! Check out Jeff Olsen’s Insider explaining the new Requisition system here, or go watch the Oblivion video from Lock & Load 2019 here.
All caught up? Excellent, let’s dive into today’s topic. To the shock of literally no one, I am going to be talking about one of the Minion theme forces. Specifically, everyone’s favorite piggy scavengers, the Thornfall Alliance.
Congrats, Farrow and Minions players, you’ve got some very exciting stuff coming up—not only the remixed theme forces but also a balance update to be released right around the launch of Oblivion. For Minions, the majority of the changes in this dynamic update are all Farrow based. I’m talking point drops, some new rules, all the good stuff. There’s a lot to cover, so let’s start with the theme.
The models usable in the Thornfall Alliance are basically the same as pre-remix, but a few new options have been added to the menu. A Thornfall army can include the following models:
- Minion warlocks with the Farrow Warlock special rule
- Non-character Farrow warbeasts
- Efaarit models/units
- Farrow units/solos
- Lynus Wesselbaum & Edrea Lloryrr
- Alten Ashley
- Brun Cragback & Lug
- Dhunian Archon solos
- Gudrun the Wanderer
- Hutchuk, Ogrun Bounty Hunter
- Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress
- Raluk Moorclaw, the Ironmonger
- Saxon Orrik
- Swamp Gobber Chef solos
- Viktor Pendrake
- Wolf with No Name
- Meat Thresher battle engines
Next, let’s talk Requisition. As a brief recap, the way Requisition works is that you get to choose one option from a theme force’s Requisition menu if you are playing a 25-point game, two options at 50, and three at 75. The options chosen are added to your army for free but must still follow Field Allowance restrictions.
The Requisition list for Thornfall is:
- One Farrow weapon crew unit
- One Minion command attachment
- One Efaarit Scout solo
- One small- or medium-based Minion solo without the Lesser Warlock special rule
Free Dhunian Archons? Yes please! I’ll take all that Fury management, if you don’t mind.
Of course, what theme force would be complete without its benefits? So, here’s where you’re going to notice the first big way that playing Thornfall is different from pre-Oblivion. Check out these benefits:
- Farrow warbeast models gain Salvage. (When a warjack is destroyed while in the melee range of a model with Salvage, remove d6 damage points from the model with Salvage. If the destroyed warjack was a heavy warjack or a colossal, remove +3 additional damage points from the model with Salvage.)
- Farrow warrior models in the army gain Rise. (If a model with Rise is knocked down at the beginning of your Maintenance Phase, it stands up.)
- Before models are deployed at the start of the game, you can place two trench terrain features anywhere completely within 20˝ of the rear table edge of your deployment zone.
These benefits cover a little bit of everything you might want to bring to a Farrow army. Want some extra healing for your warbeasts? You’ve potentially got Salvage. Want to actually deliver your freakin’ infantry? Rise + all Farrow having Tough + placing a pair of trenches near the engagement line = happy lil’ pigs. Almost every model in your army will be able to utilize these benefits in some manner. Sure, the warbeasts can’t use Salvage if you aren’t fighting warjacks, but don’t worry, the warbeasts are getting some nice upgrades with the balance update.
For example, not having to force a warbeast to use Aggression Dial or Full Boar anymore. Hold on, I’ll repeat that because it boars repeating. The War Hog and the Road Hog no longer have to force to use their dials anymore. The same goes for the Battle Boar’s Adrenalize ability. They still take the damage at the end of their activation, but other than that, it works just like how you imagine. Oh, and they got some points drops as well.
I love you, too.
I’m not going to go into every change coming with the dynamic update, but let’s see how many you can spot? Here’s a list I’ve been testing out using the new theme force and the new update.
I’ve always loved Midas! With the new Requisition system and being able to get free Dhunian Archons (and their excellent Shepherd’s Call fury management ability) as a free option, I feel like list building with Midas has REALLY opened up. Check it out, and catch us later for more insider previews and discussions about the impending release of Oblivion.
75-Point Thornfall Alliance Army
Midas [+30 WB points]
-War Hog 
-War Hog 
-Battle Boar 
-Gun Boar 
-Gun Boar 
Dhunian Archon [Free]
Dhunian Archon [Free]
Alten Ashley [Free]
Wolf with No Name 
Max Farrow Brigands 
-Farrow Brigand Warlord 
Farrow Slaughterhousers  (yay Relentless charge!)
Farrow Slaughterhousers 
Farrow Valkyries